3.29.2006

They Fade?


Sometimes I think about days gone past. Days gone so quickly that I wonder if they ever truly happened. Moments that slipped from my grasp like water through sand. Moments that I wish I could remember with more clarity and give proper respect to.

I clearly remember some of the most painful things that have ever happened to me and yet I cannot remember with any resonance the first time I saw my little sister when she came home from the hospital, or how I met some of my best friends. But I can recall with aching intensity the face of my mother in her last hours of life or the last glimpse I had of my childhood cat being taken away to be put down. Why these memories? Why not I suppose...

I've been told these memories will fade as the years pass. Somehow the thought of that bothers me. Not to say that I want to remember these things as clearly in 20 years as I do today, but to wish for them to fade away (which I must admit I had hoped for before) seems inconsiderate to myself in addition to the memories. But, then again, the mind is a funny thing. Inconsistent and unpredictable...who knows what the future has in store.

1 comment:

David Malouf -- said...

Perhaps they are like sand falling through water. When they are first "introduced" into your life (the jar of water), they take up a lot of space. As they settle, they maintain their mass, but in a smaller - more compact - space.