3.22.2006

MOM

Today I miss my mom. Don't misunderstand, I miss my mother everyday she's been gone but this week in particular has been difficult. I miss her laugh and the way she smirked at me when she knew I was trying to talk my way out of doing whatever difficult thing had presented itself. I miss her enthusiasm and her abundance of energy for random, seemingly boring tasks, that was usually rapidly spent after about an hour. I don't want to admit it but I even miss her crazy clothes that only she looked good in. The woman could take the weirdest of outfits and make them classy. I did not inherit that from her, though I'm pretty sure my sister did.

Mom had the weirdest clothes...things that I never would have worn even if you'd have paid me. I remember being very young, 7 or 8 maybe, and watching her get ready for a party or an outing. At that time we were living in a big house up on mummy mountain and she had this huge bathroom and closet (I always tried to search for Narnia in that closet and got griped at many a time for grubby fingerprints on walls and expensive clothes.) The closet was always a mystery to me because of the amount of clothing inside it. Of course, taking into account that I was much smaller then and the closet seemed much bigger than it probably was. Either way, mom had lots of clothes. She had cool looking sparkly blouses with little things sewn on them that she told me were called sequins. I had a great love of sequins at that point in my life because of my mom's clothes.
Every well dressed woman had accessories to go with every outfit...or at least that's what I've been told. Mom had the most interesting belts, jewelry, purses, shoes, you name it. My personal favorites included the brass belt with the dragon clasp, the bright green sling back heels with butterflies that would fade in and out depending how you turned the shoe, and the bright pink leather purse, direct from the eighties. These were never worn altogether of course.
I yearned to fill that purse with my treasures for years...was never allowed to of course.

These are things I think of when I remember my mother. The impact of a brass belt with a dragon for a clasp is tenuous at best. For me my mother was a eccentric gypsy, a selfless parent, a doer of deeds, a procrastinator to the highest degree, a mover and a shaker, and the best mom ever. I miss the fact that she's not around to nag me into vacuuming the house or to complain about the fact that I never put my laundry away. I miss her tendency to fill the entirety of our fridge with condiments so that our fridge was always full but there was never anything to eat...unless you liked margarita jelly and pickles with a side of mustard (4 different varieties to choose from).

No comments: